Medical insurance

Students from EU countries present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the previously valid form E111 (which has been largely replaced by the European Health Insurance Card). There are still some transitional periods for the European Health Insurance Card, during which a provisional certificate is valid. If such a provisional certificate is available, it must be confirmed by a statutory German health insurance fund. Nationals from Turkey bring the document A/T11 with them and have it approved by a German health insurance company. Every statutory health insurance company in Germany will issue such a certificate.

EU students who are not insured in their home country and all non-EU students must take out health insurance with a German health insurance company. This should be done before arrival (online) or immediately after arrival in Germany. If you are under 30 years old, it is mandatory to take out statutory health insurance. If you are over 30 years old, private health insurance can be taken out or voluntary statutory health insurance can be taken out. Proof of health insurance is mandatory and a requirement for enrollment. Please note: Travel insurance is not accepted for enrollment!