Language certificates

Accepted German examinations

The following examinations are accepted as verification of the required German language skills:

  • DSH - Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer und staatenloser Studienbewerber (German Language Test for University Admission for Foreign and Stateless Applicants) - with an overall grade of at least DSH-2.
  • TestDaF - with a minimum score of 2 x 4 and 2 x 3
  • FSP - Feststellungsprüfung (assessment test) to determine the suitability of foreign applicants to study at universities in the Federal Republic of Germany
  • C1 examination of the Goethe-Institut
  • Small or Large Language Diploma of the Goethe-Institut
  • DSD - German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs KMK at Level II
  • Telc Certificat for German C1 University
  • PNDS - Examination for proof of German language skills
  • ÖSD - Examination C1 Upper Level

Those who have obtained the Abitur at a German school or who can prove that they have passed the Feststellungsprüfung (FSP) are exempt from taking the language test. There are also other European secondary school certificates which are accepted as proof of the required German language skills. Acceptance always requires a decision on a case-by-case basis by means of a certificate check.

Accredited English examinations

For degree programmes offered completely in English, you must provide evidence of English language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The following examinations are recognised as proof:

  • German Abitur certificate with an advanced course in English and at least the grade "good" (2.0 or 11 points) on average over the last 4 school semesters
  • internationally recognised language test:
    • TOEFL- internet based test (iBT or iBT Home Edition) at least 79 points, not older than 2 years
    • IELTS - Academic version (International English Language Testing System) at least band 6.0
    • FCE- First Certificate in English

Students who have completed their studies in English do not need any additional proof of language proficiency.